After a long and tiring day, home is the place we find solace. But what if you come back home and you are welcomed with that noisy cranky garage door all over again. That clingy cranky door makes chaos which is intolerable. However many people have learned to live with such pathetic noise because for them there is no other choice. Well, there is certainly good news for them. And for them too who always wanted to put an end to such noise. The solution of getting rid of such a noisy symphony is to lubricate your garage door. Those screaming door wants your attention and is desperately is in need of help. Once that noise maker is lubricated properly it will return to its calm nature.
Lubricate to maintain healthy garage doors
The noise that comes from your garage door is not the actual problem but the actual problem lies beneath it. The noise is just the scream for help. All the parts of your garage door need to be lubricated frequently. The garage door is the most movable part in your home thus like any other machine it is too needed to be oiled for its better functioning.
Follow these steps to lubricate your garage door:
- Close the door: Close the garage door by using remote or manually this will give you the entire space for clean up.
- Cut the door power supply: While lubricating makes sure that the door’s power supply is turned off. You don’t want to mess with electric power.
- Clean the entire track: The rollers of the garage door ride on tracks to move properly; hence you need to clear the tracks so that no obstacles remain. You may use the automotive brake cleaner for such purpose. Though using, vacuum cleaner helps to remove all the dust and dirt from the tracks in places which you find it is difficult to reach.
- Start lubricating: You may get the different type of lubricant in the market but lithium based grease can be more useful to you and it is easily available. Make sure that you do not use the oil for this purpose. You can also buy the lube which is meant for garage doors only. Oil attracts more dust and dirt resulting in the formation of debris.
- Lubricate the hinges: Lift the garage door to lubricate the hinges at each side as this meets the tracks. Lubricating the hinges will make sure that the opening and closing of doors will be smoother. The hinges should be lubricated properly because of the lesser the amount the lesser the outcome.
- Rollers: After lubricating the hinges it is the time to lubricate the rollers. Rollers are present in each side of the hinges. There is a small ball bearing present inside the rollers which required to be lubricated for better functioning. It is advisable to use a thin hose attachment for this purpose.
Do not use any lubricant spray on nylon rollers.
- Spray outside of your springs and bearing plates: Spread the lubricant properly outside the springs and at the center of the ball bearing plates. Manually lift up the door then again close it, both open and close the garage door 4 to 5 times to spread the grease around.
Do check whether your springs are in good condition or not, replace it if it is bent.
- Lubricate the lock: The locks are also needed to be lubricated to prevent it from rust and also it will become much easier to lock it. You need to spray into the lock’s keyhole to lubricate it. Once you are done with it spray the grease on the armbar.
- Lubricate the top of the rail: The chain rides along the top portion of the rail and it must be lubricated. Though the chains come with the coating over it, you need to grease it time and over. Do not spray the grease at the bottom of the rail it won’t be useful.