You have to know how to measure carpet for the stairs for make it fit properly. Stairs are the essential part of your house, though ignored when it comes to decorating. As it can be quite expansive and problematic. Stairs have a bit twist and turns and horizontal as well as vertical portion making, it stressful job while carpeting it. And for a beginner or self-doer, it is one of the hardest one. Measuring carpet for your stairs can be the difficult job to undertake as it does not give us the benefit of simple measurement. Measuring stairs is quite tricky as it does not follow the simple rule length and breadth while carpeting it. You have to consider three dimensions length, breadth, and height for the appropriate measurement so that you do not buy more or less.
Here are the basics rules to be followed to measure the carpet for stairs:
- The stairs are divided into a portion, the upper portion in which you step is known as rising. The area that joins two rises is known as fall.
- Put the measuring tape at the corner most part of your rise where a rise meets a fall.
- Then pull the measuring tape towards another end of the rise.
- After measuring the flat surface of the stairs it’s time to check the breadth of the fall. Attach your measuring tape at the top end of the fall then pull the tape down, where it joins with another rise. This will give you the proper measurement of the area to carpet.
- By measuring single rise and fall you get the idea of the total area to carpet by calculating it with the number of stairs. Though add few more inches for carpet cutting, wasting of material etc.
- Due to the fancy structure of the stairs sometimes it is seen that the sizes and shape of stairs differ from each other. Thus the measurement taken of one stair may not match with another. In such a case, you need to separately measure all the similar stairs and those who differ and do make a proper note.
- Once you get numbers of similar stairs along with their measurement correct, do multiply it to get the exact carpet required. Try to find out the steps which have the same size this will minimize your labor.
- Now add up the measurements of stairs that differ. This is only required when you have different sizes of stairs or stairs which is round or for any fancy one. For the standard stairs whose length and width of each stair are same, no need to add as by multiplying your required measurement will come out.
- To get the width of the widest step, stretch the tape from one end to the other of the rise.
- You can cover the entire area of the stairs without much problem by following these steps hopefully.