A paint scraper can be considered as the best friend of a painter. No matter if the person is professional or a self-doer, you need to use a paint scraper for the removal of the old paints and also to make the surface smooth. A paint scraper with the double-sided blades is definitely a blessing as it is more efficient than the rest. But by using it several times it becomes dull. so you have to know how to sharpen a paint scraper.
A professional may know how to sharpen a paint scraper but a self-doer might make mistake while doing it, resulting in damaging the product. It is actually easy to sharpen the scraper and if done in a proper manner can extend the life of the scraper. Honestly sharpening your product by a professional can cost you a lot. If you do not want to hurt your pocket, the following passage will tell you how to properly sharpen your paint scraper without actually spending much time or effort. There are only a few things you need to which is definitely not so pricey.
You must know that there are two types of paint scrapers available in the market to be used in the house. Though there are several others used for the industrial work. There are paint scrapers whose blades are ultra-thin kind of razor-like blades. And there you will get the scrapers whose blades are thick. Because of its thickness, it proves to be more durable and easy to use.
1. The paint scraper having thin blades are meant for only lighter uses, it cannot be applied on harsh walls or for heavy loads. A task such as removing wallpaper is appropriate for them. Thus when its blades become dull it is advisable to dispose of it rather than sharpening it, because sharpening would hardly do much effect on it. Thus its price is too cheaper in comparison to the thick blades scraper.
2. So the paint scraper which you actually need to sharpen is the one which has thick blades. It is durable and meant for lifelong usage if maintained properly.
Things you required for the sharpening of either the double or the single sided thick blades for your paint scraper
- Machine Oil
- Fine file
Do not use cheap machine oil for this task, buy the one which has a reputation for its quality so that you get a better result at the end of your work.
1. If the handle of your scraper has “twist-off” handle, take out the blades from your handles by unscrewing it. It will make your work to be complete in an easier and faster way, however, your blades can still be sharpened if you don’t take it off. Place the blades on the hard surface and lay it flat on the bench or table or floor wherever you feel like working. Take the file and run it over the edges of your blades vertically more than at least three times. This helps to remove nicks from your blades thus become easy to carry work further.
2. Sandpapers are widely used for many purposes it also effectively smoothens down the blades. Please do not use any cheap quality sandpaper a better quality gives you a better finish.
3. Take the small piece of cotton cloth to dip it nicely in machine oil. Remove the extra oil than wipe the cloth vertically on the paint scraper blades. Lastly, use a sharpening stone on your blades to give it a sharp finish.
4. A proper maintenance can really do magic to your paint scraper. Try not to use your paint scraper on the rough surface in which nails are jutted out.